Alleviation: An International Journal of Nutrition, Gender & Social Development, ISSN 2348-9340 Volume 1, Number 1 (2014), pp. 1 - 8
© Arya PG College, Panipat & Business Press India Publication, Delhi

Dietary Habits in Relation to Anemia among Adolescent Girls in Slum Areas of Chandigarh

Kalyani Singh, Monica Malik, Mamta Dangi
Assistant Professor, Department of Home Science (Foods and Nutrition), MCMDAV College, Chandigarh Associate Professor, Department of Foods and Nutrition, Government Home Science College, Chandigarh Post Graduate Student


Nutritional anemia is a major public health problem worldwide particularly in developing countries among women. According to World Health Organization (2008), more than one third of world population is anemic. The present study was conducted on 500 girls of 12-18 age group to assess the incidence of anemia and dietary habits. The data were collected using a self designed questionnaire which included demographic, dietary habits and hemoglobin level which was assessed by using Drabkins Cyanmethemoglobin Method. The study revealed that 66.8 per cent of respondents were in 15-18 years age group whereas 33.8 per cent were in the age group of 12-14 years. The prevalence of anemia was moderate (78.2%), mild (11.8%), and severe (5%). There were 58.4 per cent of the respondents who were vegetarian, followed by non-vegetarian (29.2%) and ovatarian (12.4%). There were 73.4 per cent of the respondents who consumed breakfast every day while the remaining 26.6 per cent respondents skipped breakfast. There were 56.6 per cent and 29.2 per cent of the respondents who used to consume 2 and 3 meals in a day respectively. Only 2.4 per cent and 1.8 per cent of respondents used to consume 4 and 1meals in a day respectively. More than 50 per cent of the respondents did not consume tea with meal, while 47.8 per cent used to consume tea with meal. Thus, it was observed that, the prevalence of anemia among adolescents was high. The status of anemia was affected by skipping of breakfast, consumption of tea with meal and eating habit. Anemia is a widespread disorder that requires a multi-disciplinary approach for its prevention and treatment. Awareness, nutrition education and medical healthcare need to be put together to combat this worldwide ailment- anemia.

Keywords: Anemia, Dietary Habits, Nutrition Education, Multidisciplinary Approach

International Conference -Multidisciplinary